Thames and Medway Canal
Place From 14/10/1824 To 1934
Also known as the Gravesend and Rochester Canal. It was originally 11 km (6.8 miles) long and cut across the neck of the Hoo Peninsula, linking the Rivers Thames and Medway. It was first intended as a shortcut for military craft from Deptford and Woolwich dockyards to Chatham, and later used for transporting hops and other locally grown produce. Because of various operational problems it fell into disuse. There are currently (2015) plans to renovate it.