Established sometime in the 1850s.
Group From 1850
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
The errors in the inscriptions (can be viewed at Victorian Web) are presumabl...
Brilliant Sign Company
Signage company. It was named after their concept called the 'brilliant letter'. This comprised a pressed copper sheet with a v-shaped cross section so as to imitate the classic incised wooden fasc...
William Henry Reynolds
Electrical engineer and shop-keeper.
A Grade II listed building, built around 1780 and extended during the following two centuries. It contains some 200-year-old beams which were originally parts of ships. The building now houses Sand...
John Spedan Lewis
Retailer and industrial reformer. Born in Marylebone, the son of John Lewis. His second name was derived by reversing the names of Ann Speed, the maiden aunt who raised his father. He was given con...
Exotic shop dealing in wild animals. It was run by Charles Jamrach, who inherited the business from his father. Known to seafarers throughout the world, they would bring animals from distant lands ...