National Anti-Vivisection Society
Group From 2/12/1875
The world’s first body to challenge the use of animals in research, founded by Frances Power Cobbe, in Victoria Street SW1 as the Victoria Street Society. 1898 the group split over whether it should campaign for lesser measures as well as abolition. Cobbe, who wanted nothing short of abolition, left and founded the BUAV.
1964 the group moved to Harley Street; 1990 moved to Goldhawk Road; 2006 moved to Millbank Tower.
The NAVS and the BUAV jointly funded the 1985 replacement statue of Brown Dog.