Mr Fegan's Homes
Group From 1870
James Fegan set up his first children's home in Deptford, South London in 1870. Others were opened in Greenwich, Southwark, Goudhurst and one in Westminster, known as the Red Lamp, which maybe was located on the site where the plaque is erected. The photograph on the right is St Paul's School, Stony Stratford, Buckinghamshire, which Fegan converted to a children's home in 1900. Each year a number of boys were trained in farming and emigrated to Canada where there was the prospect of a better life. The charity now known as Fegans, works for care in the community for disadvantaged children and their families.