Group From 27/8/1888 To 1903
Formed as the Union of Women Match Workers following the matchgirls strike at the Bryant and May factory in Bow. Its first secretary was Annie Besant and by October of 1888, 666 members had been enrolled. By the end of the year, it had changed its rules and name, becoming the Matchmakers Union, open to both men and women. The following year it sent its first delegate to the Trade Union Congress.