A theatre with this name has been in the locality since 1765. The present site opened on 14th July 1834 to a design by Samuel Beazley. In 1904 the facade and portico were retained but the main building was redesigned by Bertie Crewe.
It closed in 1939 and avoided demolition twice. In the 1950s it became a ballroom and was eventually permanently re-opened as a theatre in 1996, specializing in the production of large musicals.