Place    From 1820 

Limehouse Basin

Categories: Property

The basin was built, as "Regent’s Canal Dock", by the Regent's Canal Company so that goods could be taken from sea-going vessels in the Thames and transferred to canal boats for distribution along the Regent's Canal. Initially a failure, it became the most important point of entry for access to the entire canal system, especially for coal.

A London Inheritance explains how this basin was used as the western end of the Limehouse Cut 1853-64.

By the mid 20th century the entire canal system was put out of business by the railways and the basin was closed to commercial traffic in 1969. At the same time the basin again became the route from the Thames through to the Limehouse Cut.

 Redevelopment of the basin started in 1983 and was still on-going in 2008.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Limehouse Basin

Commemorated ati

Limehouse basin model

{At the centre of this circular plaque/low relief sculpture:} This plaque was...

Read More

Other Subjects

Tavistock House

Tavistock House

Built 1796 by property developer James Burton, who probably lived here while developing the surrounding area. The 1834 Davies & Bartlett map (bottom right corner) shows the house surrounded by ...

Building, Property

2 memorials
Albert Clarke

Albert Clarke

Worked on the 1921-6 construction of the Harrow School War Memorial Building, probably leading the project.

Person, Property

1 memorial
E. J. Minter

E. J. Minter

Contractor who constructed the Heals building, 1914 - 17.

Person, Property

1 memorial
Stimpson & Co

Stimpson & Co

Builders of the 1892 Westminster Public Baths and Wash-houses.  

Group, Property

1 memorial
Brooke House

Brooke House

This photo comes from Edward deVere as Shakespeare: "King's Place, later re-named Brooke House in Hackney,  North London, became Edward De Vere's last home. The building was torn down in the 1950's...

Building, Property

1 memorial