The King's Bench, as opposed to, The Common Bench, was initially where the King, with his advisors, would hear and decide on matters requiring his involvement. In some form it dates back to King Alfred. At first it could sit wherever the King happened to be but by 1421 it had settled permanently in Westminster Hall. In 1882 it moved to the Royal Courts of Justice in Strand. See also the King's Bench Prison.