H. Tyson Smith
Person Male Born 12/1/1883 Died 10/2/1972
From Liverpool. Worked on a number of WW1 memorials.
George Herbert Tyson Smith was born on 12 January 1883 in Liverpool, Lancashire, the eldest of four children of George H. Smith (b.1849) and Mary Jane Smith née Tyson (b.1849). On 18 February 1883 he was baptised at St Catherine's Church, Harke Street, Edge Hill, Liverpool. The baptismal register shows the family living at 84 Boswell Street, Liverpool and that his father was a draughtsman.
The 1891 census shows him as a scholar living at 23 Gainsborough Road, Toxteth, Liverpool, with his parents, three siblings: Marie Tyson Smith (1885-1962), Hilda Marguerite Tyson Smith (1887-1984), Harold Egerton Tyson Smith (1888-1895), two half sisters from his fathers previous marriage to Agnes Tyson (1853-1879): Jessie A. Smith (b.1876) and Agnes E. Smith (b.1878). His father was now shown as a lithographic artist.
In the 1901 census he is shown as marble mason, still residing at 23 Gainsborough Road, Toxteth, with his parents and his two sisters, Marie and Hilda. He studied at Liverpool University and the Liverpool College of Art. He married Edith Mary Saunders (1881-1958) and they had two children: George Geffrey Smith (1911-1975) and Barbara Smith (1919-1954).
Royal Air Force records show that he enlisted in the Royal Flying Corps on 8 May 1917, service number 148861 and electoral registers from 1919 to at least 1969 show him and his family at 169 Grove Street, Liverpool. The 1939 England and Wales Register confirms him still at this address as a sculptor and a member of the Air Force Reserve as a chief mechanic. Also living there was his wife whose occupation was recorded as secretarial services, their son as a sculptor and their daughter as a chiropodist.
He died, aged 89 years, on 10 February 1972 and was buried on 17 February 1972 in Section 12, Grave 2, a family grave in the Allerton Cemetery, Woolton Rd, Allerton, Liverpool, L19 5NF. Both the burial register and probate records confirm that his address had been 2 Caroline Place, Birkenhead and that when probate was granted on 5 June 1972 his effects totalled £48,012.