Originally founded as a school for poor children as part of the legacy of Lady Dacre. She wrote that its aims should be: 'for the bringing up of children in virtue and good and laudable arts so that they might better live in time to come by their honest labour'. It was located in Tothill Fields, Westminster. In 1883 it moved to larger premises in Battersea.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk