Place    To 1898

Elm House

Categories: Property

Birthplace of William Morris. The family moved from here to Woodford Hall in 1840. The 1890s drawing is by Edmund Hort New (1871 - 1931).

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Elm House

Commemorated ati

William Morris - birthplace

Directly opposite stood Elm House (demolished in 1898) in extensive grounds t...

Read More

Other Subjects

W. Phillips & Son

W. Phillips & Son

Builder of 1952 rebuilding of Haberdasher Place.

Group, Property

1 memorial
B. E. Nightingale

B. E. Nightingale

Benjamin Ebenezer Nightingale was born in 1837 in Lambeth, Surrey. He was a son of Benjamin Ebenezer Nightingale (1803-1868) and Margaret Nightingale née Dickinson (1811-1887). On 7 January 1838 he...

Person, Property

2 memorials
Belair House

Belair House

Country villa. Originally called College Place. In 1947 Southwark Council purchased the lease but as the main building was in such a poor state it had to be rebuilt from ground level, retaining onl...

Building, Property

1 memorial
Toy Inn

Toy Inn

Its name derives from the fact that it was situated by the tow path on the Thames. Although the plaque says that it was built for Oliver Cromwell's troops, it actually originated as a hostelry for ...

Building, Property

1 memorial
Builder / Building

Builder / Building

Architectural journal created by Joseph Hansom as 'The Builder', renamed 'Building' in 1966 and still going strong. Edited by Hansom and then Alfred Bartholomew, it became successful and well-respe...

Media, Architecture, Journalism / Publishing, Property

1 memorial