Built in the 1850s by John Bennet Lawes to house the workers in his chemicals factory. Its foundations were unstable, and on the night of 31st January 1953, the village was swamped by the floods which swept down the east coast of Britain. Attempts were made to salvage the buildings, but not long after, everything remaining was demolished. The site is now a scrap metal recycling plant.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk