Group    From 1942  To 1965

Camp Griffiss / Widewing

Categories: Armed Forces

WW2 US military base in Bushy Park named after the first American aviator killed in Europe in WW2.

Four blocks of temporary buildings were constructed in 60 acres in the north-east section of Bushy Park, blocks A, B, C, and D. It’s said that their original purpose was to house businesses escaping from the London Blitz but when the US 8th Air Force, a strategic bombing force, arrived in February 1942 these blocks were reallocated to the Yanks.

The camp went on to serve as the European Headquarters for USAAF July 1942 - December 1944, and as Eisenhower's SHAEF January 1944 - c.April 1944. Camp Griffiss was housed in numerous permanent and temporary buildings and under canvas.

There was also an air-strip in Bushy Park, further south near the Royal Paddocks. At its peak some 4000 personnel were working, and some of them also living, in the Park. The picture source gives more details. All demolished in the 1960’s.

The command of WW2 was, as one might expect, complicated. Our researches into how this camp was used led us into a morass of dates and acronyms, confusing and contradictory. Suffice it to say Camp Griffiss was an important site for the Americans and the overall command.

The picture source also has a photo of some US graffiti cut into a brick at the nearby "ice house in Home Park, next to Hampton Court and near to the Kingston gate".

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Camp Griffiss / Widewing

Commemorated ati

Camp Griffiss, Block A, NE corner

{On the left side:} This is the site of the north east corner of "A" block, C...

Read More

Camp Griffiss, Block A, NW corner

{On the left side:} This is the site of the north west corner of “A” block, C...

Read More

Camp Griffiss, Block A, SE corner

{On the left side:} This is the site of the south east corner of “A” block, C...

Read More

Camp Griffiss, Block A, SW corner

{On the left side:} This is the site of the south west corner of “A” block, C...

Read More

Camp Griffiss, Block B, NE corner

{On the left side:} This is the site of the north east corner of "B" block, C...

Read More

Show all 18

Other Subjects

Private George Frederick Faux

Private George Frederick Faux

George Frederick Faux was born on 18 July 1898 in Paddington, together with his twin brother, John Percy Faux (1898-1899), the seventh and eighth of the eleven children of John Benjamin Faux (b.185...

Person, Armed Forces, France

War dead, WW1
1 memorial
Wandsworth Fire Station

Wandsworth Fire Station

The display stand that forms part of the memorial contains a picture of this building shortly after the fire, but the glazing makes it difficult to photograph so we are using a picture of the build...

Building, Armed Forces, Tragedy

2 memorials
Securicor PLC

Securicor PLC

Security company. Founded by Edward Shortt as Nightwatch Services. Originally, its employess rode bicycles and wore old police uniforms. In 2004 it merged with Group 4 Falck to become Group 4 Secur...

Group, Armed Forces

1 memorial
City of London (Roughriders)

City of London (Roughriders)

London unit which served in WW1.

Group, Armed Forces

1 memorial
Royal Army Medical College

Royal Army Medical College

Built on the site of Millbank Prison.

Group, Armed Forces, Education, Medicine

1 memorial