Blackheath Proprietary School
Building From 1831 To 1937
Established to give its pupils an education similar to that of the public schools. It was so called as it was owned by a group of a hundred share holding proprietors who could send or nominate a pupil. It flourished through the nineteenth century, but became threatened by a number of elements including the diminishing lease on its site, the popularity of boarding schools and the growing availability of day schools nearby. The building was demolished and the site redeveloped as a block of flats, which caused much controversy and was instrumental in the foundation of the Blackheath Society which campaigns for the preservation of the character and quality of the area.