Place    From 1812 

Beresford Square

Categories: Commerce, Property

A market square in Woolwich. It was formed in the early 19th century and named after General William Beresford, Master-General of the Ordnance and Governor of the Royal Military Academy. Our picture shows the square in about 1900.

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Beresford Square

Commemorated ati

Beresford Square

Woolwich was first recorded in 964 AD. It was known as Wullevic, a Saxon name...

Read More

Other Subjects

Nicholas Saunders

Nicholas Saunders

Researched, published and distributed 'Alternative London' 1970. Moved into a warehouse in Neal's Yard in 1976 and starting with a wholefood shop he developed the area as an alternative shopping c...

Person, Commerce, Journalism / Publishing, South Africa

1 memorial
St Pancras Basin

St Pancras Basin

Formerly known as the Midland Railway Basin (though we could find nothing under thatn name). Opened as a coal wharf.  1958 converted to a pleasure craft area.  Now home to the St Pancras Cruising C...

Place, Commerce, Transport

1 memorial
Sir Horatio Grece Regnart

Sir Horatio Grece Regnart

Born Jersey. Aged 15 joined John Maples, Furniture dealer, and progressed to being vice-president of of the store in Tottenham Court Road. 1870 married. Alderman of St Pancras Borough Council. Live...

Person, Benefactor, Commerce, Politics & Administration, Channel Islands

2 memorials
Hamleys of London

Hamleys of London

Established by William Hamley as 'Noah's Ark' at 231 High Holborn. Branch at 200 Regent Street opened in 1881. The original shop was destroyed by fire in 1901 and moved down the road to 86-87 High ...

Group, Children, Commerce

1 memorial