Group From 1919 To 1933
Art school. In full Staatliches Bauhaus. Founded by Walter Gropius, the name means 'building house', but in its early years it didn't actually have an architecture department. It was located initially in Weimar, then Dessau and finally Berlin. It closed under pressure from the Nazi regime, but its principles were spread worldwide by its former staff.