Place    From 1768  To 1935

Adelphi Terrace

Categories: Architecture

The Adam brothers built a very large development including a run of houses with a terrace that over-looked the river, which was much closer before the Embankment was built. It was this terrace that caused the word "terrace" to take on the meaning of a row of houses. Torn down in 1935 and replaced with the art deco New Adelphi building. It was the demolition of the Adelphi that was, at least partially, responsible for the creation of the Georgian Society in 1937.

The Rise and Fall of the Adelphi is a very useful page with excellent photos.

While thinking of how London has changed the English language, in the field of architecture at least, let's examine "Mews". From the French, it used to mean a place where hawks (kept for hunting) were confined during their moulting seasons. From 1377 the King's Mews was at Charing Cross, about where Trafalgar Square now is. In 1537 Henry VIII had it converted to be the royal stables. And hence Mews became the term for all service streets in London built as stables, converted into garages and then converted into rather chic homes for fashionable Londoners, such as John Steed.

The image on this page shows a plainer front elevation than that on the Garrick page. We have to assume that the Victorians added some decorative features, around the windows and the central attic pediment, for example.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Adelphi Terrace

Commemorated ati

Adam, Hood, Galsworthy, Barrie, etc.

We understand the "here" on the plaque to refer to the whole of Adelphi Terra...

Read More

Lost Garrick plaque

David Garrick, actor, lived here. B: 1716. D: 1779. {Almost hidden in the dec...

Read More

The Adelphi

The Adelphi This building stands on the site of Adelphi Terrace built by the...

Read More

Other Subjects

Henry Wilson (art)

Henry Wilson (art)

Architect, jeweller and designer. A leading figure in the British Arts & Crafts movement. Born near Liverpool. Trained with and worked in John Sedding's practice. Taught at the Central School ...

Person, Architecture, Craft / Design

1 memorial
William Leverton

William Leverton

Architect, builder and surveyor. Churchwarden at St Giles Church in 1800.

Person, Architecture, Politics & Administration, Property

1 memorial
The Black Cap

The Black Cap

Public House. It was originally called the Mother Black Cap after a local legend concerning a witch, and had that name, according to licensing records, as early as 1751. In the mid 1960s it became ...

Building, Architecture, Food & Drink

1 memorial
Robert Hooke

Robert Hooke

Natural philosopher (or scientist, in today's terminology) and architect. Born Isle of Wight. Curator of Experiments at the Royal Society, Professor of Geometry at Gresham College, Surveyor to the ...

Person, Architecture, Science

1 memorial
Michael Ventris

Michael Ventris

Architect and decipherer of Linear B script.  While still at school he heard about the discovery of Knossos by Arthur Evans, and about the undeciphered Linear B script on the tablets. This mystery ...

Person, Architecture, History, Greece

1 memorial