Webheath Estate

Erection date: 4/5/1968


{In raised concrete: the Camden Council logo and:}
This stone was laid on the 4th May 1968 by the Mayor.

The Worshipful the Mayor - Alderman Mrs Millie Miller, JP
Chairman Housing Committee - Councillor V. A. Bonafont, JP
Chairman Planning and Development Committee - Councillor Roy E. Shaw
Chairman Building Committee - Councillor R. Collins
Town Clerk - B. H. Wilson, MBE, MA, LLB
Borough Architect - S. A. G. Cook, ARIBA
Housing Manager - L. Rowley, FIHM, MRSH
Building Surveyor and Manager - A. E. Ullmer, FI, Mun, BM

This was a good, well-designed, commemorative stone. But then (we surmise) one of the committee people realised that their efforts had gone unrecognised - a plaque had to be added, listing all those who had had a hand in the project, no matter that it ruined the simplicity of the design. In retaliation we have not honoured any of them with their own page (except the Mayor - already published for another memorial). Take that, committee members!

Site: Webheath Estate (1 memorial)

NW6, Palmerston Road, Webheath Estate

At Kilburn and Willesden History we learn that this commemorates the start of the building of the estate in May 1968 and the first stage of the Estate was opened two years later.

At that time the Council were proud of the accommodation they built - their logo is in the concrete of this memorial and repeated in the bricks at the western entrance, shown at this other memorial. Note: the logo has nothing to do with recycling, it was designed in 1965 and represents interlinked hands.

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Webheath Estate

Subjects commemorated i

Councillor Mrs Millie Miller

Born as Millie Haring on 8 April 1922 her birth was registered in Shoreditch....

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Bunhill burial ground - 1

Bunhill burial ground - 1

EC1, City Road

The 5 piers on the City Road boundary each carry a golden inscription.  We list them here south to north. There is a common misapprehens...

17 subjects commemorated
Chelsea Temperance Society - Anscombe

Chelsea Temperance Society - Anscombe

SW3, Pond Place, 23

There are two stone plaques either side of the entrance, low on the wall, and two, rather classier, plaques in the entrance lobby. Readi...

1 subject commemorated, 2 creators
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - SE25

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - SE25

SE25, Tennison Road, 12

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859 - 1930, creator of Sherlock Holmes lived here, 1891 - 1894. Greater London Council

2 subjects commemorated, 1 creator
Lord Ashfield - W1

Lord Ashfield - W1

W1, South Street, 43

Note the use of London Underground’s own typeface, Johnston Sans. 2020: This house was up for sale and the estate agents noted that Ashf...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Sir William Walton

Sir William Walton

SW1, Lowndes Cottage, Lowndes Place

English Heritage Sir William Walton, 1902-1983, composer, lived here.

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator