Plaque: The Round Table
The neighbourhood of St. Martins Lane was, in the middle of the Eighteenth century, the resort of 'horsy and fighting men'. The most popular house in the early days being 'Ben Caunts Head' after the Nottinghamshire giant who was at one time the landlord.
It was in these taverns that the fancy regularly met for many years and arranged historical fights including, in October 1805, the encounter between Jim Belcher and the Game Chicken, staged by Earl Grosvenor, Colonel Mellish and Captain Halliday.
The Round Table played its part during these times, putting up the American Champion, John C. Heenan, when he came to contest the belt with the valiant Tom Sayers, the famous Sussex fighter.
The sign of the Round Table indicated during these times that even-handed justice was observed within and that all corners were treated alike.
The present building dates back to 1877 when the area had major redevelopment to provide for a road between Oxford Street and Charing Cross. This reconstruction made available land which was bought and built upon by Sir Charles Wyndham, the famous Actor Manager, and so began the traditions of theatre land with the Wyndhams and Albery Theatres named after the owner and stepson respectively.
In the following years the Round Table has grown closer to the world of theatre and is a welcome meeting place for actors and audience alike.
Site: The Round Table (1 memorial)
WC2, St Martin's Court