mobile nav

Memorial

St Mary Rotherhithe gate piers - south St Mary Rotherhithe gate piers - south

Plaque: St Mary Rotherhithe gate piers - south

Erection date: /10/1886

Inscription

{On the white stone on the pier to the left of the opening:}
The necessary repairs to the walls, railings and gates of the churchyard burial ground were executed 1886.

{On the white stone on the pier to the right of the opening:}
Churchwardens - E. Rumney Smith, Francis T. Talbot
Overseers – Edwin Willoughby, Frederick T. Baker, John D. Hawkins, William Predam
October 1886

Given the state of the inscription we hope you are impressed with our ability to decipher it. We have to own that it is practically illegible and we can only read it because the wording is identical to that on the gate piers to the north. The only difference being that to the north it is all on one stone but here the list of names is on the right hand stone which is actually in such good condition we wonder if it is a reproduction.

Site: St Mary Rotherhithe gate piers - south (1 memorial)

SE16, St Marychurch Street, St Mary the Virgin

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
St Mary Rotherhithe gate piers - south

Information Subjects commemorated

Show all 6

50534

Frederick T. Baker

Overseer of St Marys Rotherhithe in 1886.

Read More

50534

John D. Hawkins

Overseer of St Marys Rotherhithe in 1886.

Read More

50534

William Predam

Overseer of St Marys Rotherhithe in 1886.

Read More

50534

E. Rumney Smith

Churchwarden of St Marys Rotherhithe in 1886.

Read More

50534

Francis T. Talbot

Churchwarden of St Marys Rotherhithe in 1886.

Read More