Plaque: Sir Squire Bancroft
Erection date: 1901
Presented by Sir Squire Bancroft, 1901
A much less interesting circular plaque above this one reads:
The restoration of this shelter in 1987 for the Cabmen's Shelter Fund was promoted by the Heritage of London Trust with generous assistance from the former Greater London Council, The Bedford Estate, The Swan Trust, Miss Hazel Wood and Brenda Bancroft and her family.
Site: Sir Squire Bancroft (1 memorial)
WC1, Russell Square
We learn from Cabmen's shelters: This cabmen's shelter spent most of its life in Leicester Square, once a major stopping point for taxis. When pedestrianisation arrived in the late 1980s, the shelter became redundant and was moved to Russell Square.