Plaque: Shoreditch town hall extension
Erection date: 9/9/1901
This foundation stone was laid by the first Mayoress of Shoreditch (Mrs H. E. Kershaw), 9th September 1901.
A. C. Hodder - Chairman
W. Smither - Vice Chairman
S. G. Porter
J. J. Trowbridge
W. F. Norton
G. W. Howlett
J. J. Clark
T. B. Chant
H. W. Wheatley
A. E. Penney
H. Mansfield Robinson, LLD - Town Clerk
William G. Hunt - Architect
Killby & Gayford - Builders
A report in the London North Middlesex Standard And Tottenham And Wood Green Echo of 13 September 1901 describes the unveiling as being "completely obscured from public view by a hoarding constructed to meet the necessities of building operations, but being so close to the continuous roar of the traffic in Old Street, as to render the voices of speakers at the ceremony at times almost inaudible".
Site: Shoreditch town hall (1 memorial)
EC1, Old Street, Shoreditch town hall
Foundations stones do not always qualify for London Remembers (too dull) but "first Mayoress of Shoreditch" caught our attention.
This town hall was built in 1866 by Shoreditch district surveyor, Caesar A. Long, with a 1898-1902 extension by W. C. Hunt. Measure gives the history of the building with a picture before the extension.
Some spaces in this building are now available for hire and the website has some photos of the interiors.