mobile nav

Memorial

Norwegian Embassy Norwegian Embassy

Credit for this entry to:
Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

Plaque: Norwegian Embassy

Erection date: 1968

Inscription

{On a metal plaque below the left hand relief:}
In 1796 these two Coade stone reliefs were affixed to the Danish-Norwegian consulate in Wellclose Square, Stepney, in 1968 these reliefs were re-erected on this embassy by courtesy of the Greater London Council.

Site: Norwegian Embassy (1 memorial)

SW1, Belgrave Square, 25

Either side of the front door are two small relief friezes of cherubs doing things cherubicly.  On one side they are painting, sculpting and designing; on the other, farming in a half-hearted way.  As the Faded London post points out, not all Coade stone items were bespoke.  These certainly look off-the-shelf.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Norwegian Embassy

Information Subjects commemorated

51430

Danish-Norwegian Consulate

Numbers 20-21 Wellclose Square which housed this consulate no longer exist so...

Read More

50103

Coade Stone

A ceramic material called an artificial stone, and created by Mrs Eleanor Coa...

Read More

50120

Wellclose Square, E1

This down at heel backwater to the east of the Tower of London, has an unexpe...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Norwegian Embassy

Information Created by

46340

Greater London Council

The GLC was abolished, some say, because Mrs Thatcher could not abide its lef...

Read More