Plaque

North Camberwell Radical Club

Inscription

North Camberwell Radical Club stood near here, 1893.
For more information visit artinthepark.co.uk

The sketches on the plaque show: a plan showing a building (Albany Hall) and the neighbouring houses in Domville Grove (all gone); the frontage of another building; a figure-of-eight shape/handcuffs, with the words "work rest play hours"; a person carrying a musical instrument and banner with the text "8 hours"; a packed horse-drawn 'bus with some illegible writing on the side. We believe these last two images represent the 1890 May Day procession from Camberwell Green to Hyde Park, headed by the North Camberwell Radical Club band.

1893 was the year that the Club moved into Albany Hall.

Site: North Camberwell Radical Club (1 memorial)

SE5, Burgess Park

In our photo, at the left, you can see the back of the plaque, with the water in the distance. Albany Road is behind the camera.

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
North Camberwell Radical Club

Subjects commemorated i

Albany Hall

Our Picture source dates the image as 1899 and gives the architect as A. J. P...

Read More

May Day demonstration in Hyde Park, 1890

Paste Tense describes why and how the 1st of May became the International Wor...

Read More

North Camberwell Radical Club

From Art in the Park: "The North Camberwell Radical Club performed two functi...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Druids

Druids

W1, Poland Street, 23, King's Arms

In this old King's Arms Tavern the Ancient Order of Druids was revived 28th November 1781. This commemorative plaque was placed here on ...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Oakwood Station

Oakwood Station

N14, Branley Road

This long inscription includes the intriguing text "When the station opened in 1933 a commemorative bronze plaque was fixed to the ticket...

4 subjects commemorated, 1 creator
Dame Sybil Thorndike

Dame Sybil Thorndike

SW3, Carlyle Square, 6

English Heritage Dame Sybil Thorndike, 1882-1976, actress, lived here, 1921-1932.

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Moorfields Eye Hospital - foundation stone

Moorfields Eye Hospital - foundation stone

N1, City Road

These two inscriptions are either side of the entrance steps. The patient entrance is now around the corner and this grand entrance seems...

2 subjects commemorated
Waterloo WW2 plaque

Waterloo WW2 plaque

SE1, Waterloo Station

Constructed 1907-22. The long station front was designed in phases by James Robb Scott. Only the Victory Arch is listed. At one time thi...

2 subjects commemorated