Plaque

Mission extension foundation stone

Erection date: 27/4/1932

Inscription

British Sailors' Society
This foundation stone of the extension of the Empire Memorial Hostel provided by the Ladies' Guild (the Dowager Lady Dimsdale, OBE, President, Miss Agnes M. Gibbons Organising Secretary) was laid by the Marchioness of Linlithgow, President of the Ladies' Guild for Scotland.
27th April 1932

Site: Mission Building, Limehouse (3 memorials)

E14, Commercial Road, 747, The Mission Building

The war plaque is above the main entrance. The foundation stone for the Empire Memorial Sailors' Hostel is to the left of the front elevation. The foundation stone for the extension is not in our photo, being around the side, in Salmon Lane. The war plaque is locally listed by Tower Hamlets but none of the rest of the building is protected.

From Alamy: "The Mission began as the Empire Memorial Sailors’ Hostel and was originally built in 1923–4 to designs by Thomas Brammall Daniel and Horace W Parnacott, with 1930s additions by George Baines and Son."

Manchester Victorian Architects explains the need for a Sailors’ Hostel: ".. just after the First World War, London was suffering from a lot of sailors with no bed for the night: every night 16 000 seamen from all over the world would be let loose in the city looking for lodging and it seems that only three quarters of them would have any luck. And as contemporaneous news reports had it, “they were prey to all temptations“. ... So an appeal was started throughout the Empire, largely organised by women, to raise the necessary money to build this hostel, which would also stand as a memorial to the 12 000 merchant sailors who were killed in service during the First World War.  When opened in 1924 the hostel provided 205 clean and airy single cabins, as they were called, and by 1929 had provided beds for over a million sailors. With the decline of the London dockyards in the 60s and 70s, demand slowed down and eventually it became a hostel for the homeless which closed in 1985."

From Waymarking: "The Hostel ... was opened in 1924 by the British Sailor Society.  It was built from a Fund set up in 1917 by the Ladies Guild of the British Sailor Society ... With the closure of the Docks in the 1960s and 1970s, the Hostel lost its seamen and closed in 1979.  The Hostel was sold, renamed “Prince’s Lodge”, and became a “home” for the homeless.  Controversy dogged “Prince’s Lodge” and it closed in 1985.  In 1994, the Hostel was sold again this time to a property developer who converted it into 50 private flats and gave it a new name “The Mission”."

Do have a look at this building with Google Maps in Satellite View 3D - inside the courtyard there's an incongruous rose-clad cottage.

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of plaquesoflondon.co.uk

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Mission extension foundation stone

Created by i

Beatrice Eliza Bower Dimsdale

Daughter of Robert Hunt Holdsworth, of London. 1873 married Joseph Dimsdale a...

Read More

Miss Agnes M. Gibbons

Miss Agnes M. Gibbons Organising Secretary of the Ladies' Guild in 1932.

Read More

Marchioness of Linlithgow

Born in Edinburgh into the aristocracy as Hersey Alice Mullins. When she was ...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Mission extension foundation stone

Also at this site i

Empire Memorial Sailors' Hostel

Empire Memorial Sailors' Hostel

This foundation stone was laid by Beatrice Dowager Lady Dimsdale OBE, with wh...

Read More

Mission Building - WW1 plaque

Mission Building - WW1 plaque

We can't find any information about that damaged-looking grey shape at the to...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Westminster Hospital - burial ground

Westminster Hospital - burial ground

SW1, Horseferry Road, St John the Evangelist garden

The foundation stone of the Westminster Hospital for its move from Broad Sanctuary to the first of its buildings east and west of St John...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Arthur Lowe

Arthur Lowe

W9, Maida Avenue, 2

Arthur Lowe, 1915 - 1982, comedy actor, lived here, 1969 - 1982. The Dead Comics Society

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Field Marshal Allenby

Field Marshal Allenby

SW5, Wetherby Gardens, 24

London County Council Field Marshal, Viscount Allenby, 1861-1936, lived here, 1928-1936.

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Ruy Barbosa

Ruy Barbosa

W14, Holland Park Gardens, 17

Ruy Barbosa, 1849 - 1923, eminent Brazilian statesman and jurist lived here, 1895. Anglo-Brazilian Society

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
John Buchan

John Buchan

W1, Portland Place, 76, Institute of Physics Foyer

This plaque in the foyer of the Institute of Physics can be seen through the window. The very helpful receptionist let us photograph it. ...

1 subject commemorated