Plaque: Maiden Lane Bridge
Maiden Lane Bridge
First built in 1819 to carry Maiden Lane across the Regent’s Canal, it was widened and rebuilt in 1852 and 1923. In 1998 it was rebuilt to conform to European Community legislation on minimum loading. Parts of the original fabric have been reused in deference to the site’s history.
Chief Engineer - Dugald Gonsal
Contractor - Hochtief (UK) Construction Ltd
Engineers - Roughton Group Ltd & Camden Enviroment Dept
Site: Maiden Lane Bridge (1 memorial)
N1, Regent's Canal
York Way, which runs from King's Cross up to Camden Road, used to be called Maiden (corruption of midden, meaning dung heap) Lane. From Canal Museum: "This bridge was rebuilt with iron girders in 1850 for access to the railway goods station. In 1999 it was rebuilt again. The metal parapets are copies of the 1850 design."