Erection date: 19/10/1900
This stone was laid by J. Passmore Edwards Esq. 19th October 1900. Commissioners:
F. C. Mills J.P. Chairman
T. C. Cooper
S. Lewis JP
C. T. Smith
Messrs Clarkson Architects
Messrs Sabey & Son Builders
John T. Winkworth Hon Sec.
Site: Limehouse Library (1 memorial)
E14, Commercial Road, 638
A Grade II Listed building, the Limehouse District Public Library opened in November 1901 and closed in 2003. It has since been redeveloped and re-opened as the Limehouse Library Hotel.
When we first took our pictures, building work was still in progress. We returned and found that the entrance to the building has been attractively laid out, except for the fact that the plaque is now partially obscured by a bench.
From Manchester History: "The building was extended several times during the inter-war period in what has been described as, " a stripped-down Art Deco style". The additions allowed for the creation of a new larger Library Hall, a Juvenile Library and a Lecture Hall." They also have a few good photos.
A statue of Clement Attlee was unveiled outside this building in 1988. By 2005 vandalism meant it had to be boxed for protection. Eventually it was moved and unveiled in 2011 at its new location.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of plaquesoflondon.co.uk