Plaque: Hydraulic lock gate engine
Hydraulic Lock Gate Engine
This machinery was installed in 1902, at the time the Greenland Lock was enlarged, to open and shut one of the lock gates by high pressure water power. It was heated by gas in winter to stop the water freezing.
Site: Lock keeper and hydraulic sluice (4 memorials)
SE16, Princes Court
None of these four plaques are visible in our photo (and still this was the best position form which to take the photo!) all being hidden by the building. The Office plaque is on the right side of the building. The Sluice plaque is on the railings to the right. The Bridge plaque is on the railings closest to the bridge. The Engine plaque is inside the pit behind the building.