Plaque   

Hugh Gaitskell House

Hugh Gaitskell House Hugh Gaitskell House

Erection date: 9/5/1964

Inscription

{The top plaque:}
These flats erected for the Stoke Newington Borough Council were opened by Baroness Gaitskell of Egremont on the 9th May 1964.

{The lower plaque:}
They were refurbished for the London Borough of Hackney and reopened by her daughter Julia McNeal on 18th August 1997.

Site: Hugh Gaitskell House (1 memorial)

N16, Stamford Hill

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesof london.co.uk

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Hugh Gaitskell House

Subjects commemorated Information

Hugh Gaitskell

Statesman. Born London. Labour MP and leader of the party from 1955 until his...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Hugh Gaitskell House

Created by Information

Hackney Council

Hackney Council was created in 1965 from the 3 Metropolitan Borough Councils ...

Read More

Stoke Newington Borough Council

Formed from the Vestry of Stoke Newington Parish in the County of London, and...

Read More

Baroness Gaitskell

Politician. Born Dora Creditor near Riga, Latvia, and known as Anna. Her fami...

Read More

Julia McNeal

Elder daughter of Hugh and Dora Gaitskell. In our photograph, she is on the r...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Merton Place

Merton Place

SW19, Merton High Street, Doel Close

We've read at London Gardens Online that the house was actually where Nelson Grove Road now is.

4 subjects commemorated, 1 creator
Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts

Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts

SW1, Tufton Street

The plaque is dull compared with this relief showing the expectant natives reaching out to the Gospel-bringer in his ship with puffed up ...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Old church - Stanmore

Old church - Stanmore

HA7, Uxbridge Road, St John the Evangelist, Stanmore

MyLondon informs: "{The old church} gained Grade II listed status in 1951. In 1989, renovation began, with English Heritage providing fin...

3 subjects commemorated, 7 creators
Remains of Roman wall and bastion

Remains of Roman wall and bastion

EC1, Giltspur Street, Bank of America Merrill Lynch

September 2010: there is a small plaque giving visiting hours: 9:00 - 17:00 Mon-Fri and 9:00 - 13:00 on Saturdays, excluding public holid...

2 subjects commemorated
Albert Bridge boundary markers

Albert Bridge boundary markers

SW11, Albert Bridge

A pair of these markers is attached to each side of the bridge, with CP always to the north and BP to the south. Chelsea Parish and Bat...

1 subject commemorated