mobile nav

Memorial

Hudson fountain Hudson fountain

Fountain: Hudson fountain

Erection date: 1880

Inscription

{On the plinth:}
1880 presented to the local board for the use of the public, by Thomas Charles Hudson, a native and life long resident of Harrow.

The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life. Prov XIV 27

Site: Hudson fountain (1 memorial)

HA1, High Street

A nearby information panel provides: This is the site of the former town well which was sunk in 1816 and was a primary source of drinking water to the then residents of Harrow on the Hill.

In 1880 the well was replaced with the fountain that stands today. Thomas Charles Hudson, who was a local businessman, donated the fountain to the community, as described by the inscription on its base. This important feature of the High Street had been disused for some time until in 2004, a restoration project run by the Harrow on the Hill Trust and the London Borough of Harrow took place to restore it and reintroduce the provision of drinking water.

The project was jointly supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, the Drinking Fountain Association, Harrow Heritage Trust and Harrow on the Hill Trust, together with contributions from the London Borough of Harrow.
Supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund

View this memorial on a map

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Hudson fountain

Information Subjects commemorated

Thomas Charles Hudson

Thomas Charles Hudson was born on 2 September 1816 in Harrow, Middlesex, a so...

Read More