Plaque: Horniman at Hay's
Nicholson's Est. 1873
The Horniman at Hay's was built following the redevelopment of 'Hay's Wharf', London's oldest and largest port, founded in 1651. the port's warehouses were built in 1857 by Thomas Cubitt and used for unloading tea and other provisions for the London trade. It was one of the first places to use cold storage, importing butter and cheese from New Zealand from 1867 and commonly known as the 'Larder of London'. The pub itself was built on the site of one of the warehouses owned by a Victorian tea-dealer named Frederick Horniman.
The plaque is incorrect in giving Thomas Cubitt as the designer. It was in fact the, unrelated, Sir William Cubitt.
Site: Horniman at Hay's (1 memorial)
SE1, Queen's Walk, Horniman pub
In our photo the plaque is in the dark arcade.