General Roy's cannon - south

General Roy's cannon - south General Roy's cannon - south

Erection date: 1791


{On the white plaque almost hidden in the undergrowth behind:}
This tablet was affixed in 1926 to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the birth of Major General William Roy, FRS, born 4th May 1726 – died 1st July 1790.  He conceived the idea of carrying out the triangulation of this country and of constructing a complete and accurate map and thereby laid the foundation of the Ordnance Survey.

This gun marks the S.E. terminal of the base which was measured in 1784, under the supervision of General Roy, as part of the operations for determining the relative positions of the Greenwich and Paris observatories - this measurement was rendered possible by the munificence of H. M. King George III, who inspected the work on 21st August 1784 - the base was measured again in 1791 by Captain Mudge as the commencement of the principal triangulation of Great Britain.

Length of base – reduced to M. S. L.:
As measured by Roy – 27404.01 feet
As measured by Mudge – 27404.24 feet
As determined by Clarke in 1858 in terms of the Ordnance Survey standard O {subscript 1} – 27406.19 feet.

The cannon was installed in 1791 by Mudge. The plaque came later in 1926. From British Listed Buildings: "Roy originally marked his line by wooden posts, but in 1791 two guns were selected at Woolwich 'from amongst those which had been condemned as unfit for the public service'. The cannon is some nine feet long, the lower six feet of which are buried in the ground."

Site: General Roy's cannon - south (1 memorial)

TW12, Roy Grove

The Hampton Poor House was, in 1863, just to the north west of the cannon, in what was known as Cannon Field, once this cannon was planted.

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
General Roy's cannon - south

Subjects commemorated i

Ordnance Survey

Charles Close Society gives the history of OS Maps.

Read More

Captain Alexander Ross Clarke

Surveyor.  Born Reading. Served in Canada and on his return worked on the ord...

Read More

King George III

Born in St James's Square (not the public garden, one of the houses, obviousl...

Read More

Captain William Mudge

Surveyor. Born Plymouth, godson of Samuel Johnson. Served in South Carolina. ...

Read More

Major-General William Roy

Military engineer, surveyor, antiquary. Born South Lanarkshire.  Founder of t...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Burning Cross

Burning Cross

SE1, Blackfriars Road, Christ Church

September 2013: Our colleague Jamie Davis tells us that the plaque was stolen, presumably for its scrap value.

2 subjects commemorated
Clarendon Arch - 1682

Clarendon Arch - 1682

N21, Bush Hill

We are indebted to John Salmon at Geograph for his photo of this arch. The Portland keystone depicts Sir Hugh Myddelton’s coat of arms.

2 subjects commemorated, 2 creators
Slade fountain

Slade fountain

SE11, Kennington Park Road, Kennington Park

On a nearby information board: Slade Fountain – This drinking fountain was installed in 1861 at the request – and expense – of local resi...

2 subjects commemorated, 1 creator
Oakley works

Oakley works

W4, Southfield Recreation Ground

The Oakley Small Arms Works moved to Acton from Chelsea in 1904, and was situated at the North West part of the park, where the small mea...

4 subjects commemorated
Howell Powell Edwards

Howell Powell Edwards

W2, St Mary's Terrace

Our thanks, as ever, to our Welsh consultant, David Hopkins, for providing the transcription (Welsh in Gothic script defeated us) and the...

1 subject commemorated