Erection date: 12/6/1908
This tunnel, constructed by the London County Council was opened by H.R.H. the Prince of Wales KO, on the 12th of June 1908.
Maurice Fitzmaurice, CMG, Engineer
Site: Entrance to the Rotherhithe Tunnel - south (1 memorial)
SE16, Rotherhithe Tunnel entrance
Opened on the same day as the twin arch on the north side of the river. Presumably the dignitaries rode through the tunnel with bands playing.
Very nasty road with the pollution trapped in the approach to the tunnel, the tunnel itself must be horrible. There are steps done on each side and we crossed through the 2 streams of traffic by force of numbers - there were 3 people all doing it.
The bulky piers at normal street level probably started off with decorative lamps - see the northern entrance.