Plaque   

Diss Street re-housing scheme

Diss Street re-housing scheme Diss Street re-housing scheme

Erection date: 28/10/1922

Inscription

Metropolitan Borough of Bethnal Green
Diss Street Re-housing Scheme
This commemoration stone was laid on Saturday 28th October 1922 by his worship the Mayor, Councillor Joseph James Vaughan.
Housing Committee
Councillor John W. Martin - Chairman
Councillor The Rev. G. E. A. Whitworth, MA - Vice Chairman
Ald. T. J. Boyce
Ald. Hannah Jeffcote
D. G. Alabaster
W. H. Bryant
J. J. Cunningham
T. F. H. French
A. H. Gillison
C. W. Hovell
Mary E. E. James, JP
J. J. Julier
E. C. E. Lear
C. N. Murphy
J. Valentine
F. W. Wright
W. Windsor

E. C. P. Monson, FRIBA - Architect
Thomas Shillitoe - Builder
David J. Keep - Town Clerk
A. E. Darby, AMICE - Boro' Engineer

Site: Diss Street re-housing scheme (1 memorial)

E2, Diss Street, Vaughan Estate

Our picture, just, shows the entire southern side of this street. This foundation stone was laid in 1922 and the Vaughan Estate opened in 1931. Named for the 1922 Mayor the Estate consisted of about 20 flats, all in this short dead-end offshoot of Diss Street.

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Diss Street re-housing scheme

Subjects commemorated Information

Diss Street, Vaughan Estate - foundation

We are delighted that the Terraces Tenements and Tower Blocks project researc...

Read More

D. G. Alabaster

Member of Housing Committee, Diss Street 1922. Councillor and member of Housi...

Read More

Alderman T. J. Boyce

Member of Housing Committee, Diss Street 1922.

Read More

W. H. Bryant

Member of Housing Committee, Diss Street 1922. Councillor and Vice-Chair of t...

Read More

J. J. Cunningham

Member of Housing Committee, Diss Street 1922.

Read More

Show all 22

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Diss Street re-housing scheme

Created by Information

Metropolitan Borough of Bethnal Green

Bethnal Green was formed as a civil parish from the Bethnal Green hamlet in S...

Read More

Joe Vaughan

Born Joseph James Vaughan in East London. Started work, aged 8, while still a...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

St Luke's - Telfer

St Luke's - Telfer

EC1, Old Street

The facade of this building tells the history of the school. Each of the 4 gable ends carries a plaque with a dated event, reading from l...

2 subjects commemorated
Church of the Assumption & St Gregory

Church of the Assumption & St Gregory

W1, Warwick Street

The first church on this site was built as a Catholic chapel to serve the Portuguese Embassy behind it, in Golden Square.

1 subject commemorated
McDonald's Restaurants

McDonald's Restaurants

SE18, Powis Street, 56 - 58

In our photo this difficult-to-spot plaque is to the right of the '70% off' sign.

1 subject commemorated, 3 creators
City Pest House

City Pest House

EC1, Bath Street

Historic Site City Pesthouse. Built here in open fields 1593. Used during the Great Plague 1665. Demolished 1736. London Borough of ...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Frampton Street WW2 bomb

Frampton Street WW2 bomb

NW8, Frampton Street, Stanfield House

In our photo the plaque can be seen on the corner, below the satellite dishes. The National Archives catalogue lists some entries which ...

2 subjects commemorated, 1 creator