Plaque: Croydon airport opening
Erection date: 2/5/1928
This tablet commemorates the opening of the reconstructed aerodrome by the Lady Maud Hoare. DBE, 2nd May 1928.
There are two versions of this plaque, identically worded, attached to either side of the entrance; this one, to the right, photographs better than the other, which is the one actually unveiled in the British Pathe news film of the unveiling, found for us by Jamie Davis. Others present include: Sir Samuel Hoare, F. G. L. Bertram - the then Deputy Director of Civil Aviation at the Air Ministry and Lord Thomson - Air Minister in the Labour Government. But the most notable presence is Lady Hoare's fur coat.
Site: Croydon airport (3 memorials)
CR0, Purley Way