mobile nav

Memorial

Blackfriars Station Blackfriars Station

Credit for this entry to:
Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

Plaque: Blackfriars Station

Inscription

These stones were part of the facade of the original Blackfriars Station opened in 1886 when it was the hub for travel to and from many of the business capitals of Europe.

There are 54 stones in total, but it is hard to believe that places like Herne Bay and Sittingbourne were ever business capitals.

Site: Blackfriars Station (2 memorials)

EC4, Queen Victoria Street

Thanks to our colleague Alan Patient for these photos, taken in 2018, of the concourse showing the memorials. But we have failed to find a picture of the old station facade showing these stones in place. If you know of one please let us know.

View this memorial on a map

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Blackfriars Station

Information Subjects commemorated

Blackfriars Station

The station was opened by the London, Chatham and Dover Railway company with ...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Blackfriars Station

Information Also at this site

Whitwell

Dick Whitwell, 1956 - 2011 A lifelong professional railwayman who within the ...

Read More