Underground Heritage information
Bethnal Green station
Architects: Charles Holden & Partners / London Transport, 1938/39 - 1946
The station was designed as part of the ambitious scheme to extend the Central line from its terminus at Liverpool Street out into north east London. The scheme, which also included the electrification of the main line to Shenfield, was introduced to cope with the massive suburban growth of 1930s London. This work was suspended during the Second World War and Bethnal Green finally opened on 4 December 1946.
The staircase entrances, with railings and integrated signs, lead to the sub-surface ticket hall finished in terracotta faience. The platforms are finished in pale yellow tiles (originally by Carter's of Poole in Dorset) highlighted by orange and black trim. The relief tiles, illustrating places associated with London and its transport, were designed by Harold Stabler, The tiling finishes with a name frieze in the traditional Johnston typeface that was specially designed for the Underground.
When the station was modernised in 2007 it was decided to carefully renew these finishes using careful replicas of the tiles but leaving several panels of original tiles on the platform walls.
Site: Bethnal Green Station (1 memorial)
E2, Cambridge Heath Road
The station is on the Central line. It has four staircase exits/entrances, but no exterior building. Although it didn't actually open until after WW2, the partially completed station was used as an air raid shelter, and was the scene of the worst civilian disaster of the war.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of plaquesoflondon.co.uk