Plaque: Archbishop of Canterbury
Thi Social Service Centre and the adjoining flats built by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners were opened by the most rev. Cosmo Gordon Archbishop of Canterbury on the 24 June 1939.
May they have peace who dwell therein.
We were expecting the phrase "May they have peace who dwell therein" to be a quote from the Bible but we can't find it.
Site: Archbishop of Canterbury (1 memorial)
SE1, Cornwall Road
The Archbishop of Canterbury and later the Ecclesiastical Commissioners used to own much of the land in Vauxhall and the South Bank. The building looks like it is not for this world much longer. Wonder what will happen to the rather lovely plaque?
2019 London SE1 reports that this estate (comprising Ospringe House, Croydon House, Charing House, Cornwall Flats and Ethelm House, the "OCCC Estate") was bought by Grainger in 2005 and that the proposals for its development have now been agreed with Lambeth Council.