Group    From 1719 

Raine Foundation School

Categories: Children, Education

This school was founded in what is now Raine Street by Henry Raine (1679 - 1738) in 1719, though the street was then known as Fawdon Lane, Charles Street. The school provided an education for local poor children (50 boys and 50 girls).

An associated boarding school for girls was established in 1736. It was known as Raine's Hospital, Raine's Asylum, or the Hundred Pound School and was apparently near to the school but we don't know where. St George in the East have a drawing and it is a fine building - if it still existed we think it would be well known.

1875 the boys school moved to 125 Cannon Street Road (building still there with lovely tiled frieze "Raine's Boys' School") followed by the girls school moving in 1885 to a site across the road (building lost). c.1913 the schools moved to Arbour Square, where the building is now (2023) occupied by New City College.

information from St George in the East (whence this drawing) and British History Online.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Raine Foundation School

Commemorated ati

Other Subjects

Eliza Yeates

Eliza Yeates

Eliza (or Elizabeth) Yeates was born Horton, daughter of William Willson Yeates. See there for information about her family. Buried in St Michaels churchyard Horton, 1 December 1834. 

Person, Children, Friend / family

1 memorial
Andrew Mellor

Andrew Mellor

Associated with Great Ormond Street Hospital.

Person, Children, Medicine

1 memorial
Oxford and St George’s Club / St George’s Settlement

Oxford and St George’s Club / St George’s Settlement

From University of Southampton: "Based in a disused hostel on 125 Cannon Street Road, the Oxford and St George’s Club began in 1914 with a membership of 25 boys. The Club got its name from Basil’s ...

Group, Children, Community / Clubs, Education

2 memorials