Media    From 21/2/1958 

Peace symbol

Categories: Craft / Design, Peace

Designed by Gerald Holtom as a nuclear disarmament logo for the first Aldermaston March, which took place Easter, 4–7 April 1958.

From the Hackney Gazette: "Gerald had first presented the symbol to his colleagues at the Direct Action Committee against nuclear war (DAC) on February 21, 1958, above the Fish and Cook Stationers in Blackstock Road." This conflicts with Wikipedia which says that Holtom took the design to "his local anti-nuclear group in Twickenham".

Holtom would say his inspiration came from images of people in despair but it can't just be coincidence that the overlaid semaphore symbols of "N" and "D" would form this symbol.

The logo was quickly adopted by the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament and, since Holtom did not copyright the design, it was used worldwide to represent the desire for nuclear disarmament, and more generally, peace. It is one of the most widely recognised designs in history.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Peace symbol

Commemorated ati

Peace symbol

The peace symbol, designed by Gerald Holtom, adopted here 1958. London Boroug...

Read More

Other Subjects

Stephen Bird

Stephen Bird

Artist/designer/craft-person.  Born Stoke-on-Trent.  Initially we could find no information about "S. Bird" but Andrew Behan was more successful so we have him to thank for this page.

Person, Art, Craft / Design

3 memorials
William Abeling

William Abeling

Clockmaker, lived and worked Wynyatt Street and in 1820 installed a watchmakers window. From the Keeper of the Clockmakers' Museum at Guildhall: "William Abeling (sic) was not a member of the Wor...

Person, Craft / Design

1 memorial
MDM Props

MDM Props

From their website: "MDM works with Artists and Galleries from across the globe, fabricating artworks in a multitude of materials to the highest standards. We work closely with each artist to under...

Group, Craft / Design, Sculpture

5 memorials
A. B. Burton Foundry

A. B. Burton Foundry

Founder based in Thames Ditton.  From Exploring Surrey's Past: The foundry was established in Summer Road, Thames Ditton, in 1874 by Cox and Sons, ecclesiastical suppliers, to cast ornaments and st...

Group, Craft / Design

8 memorials
Hamilton T. Smith

Hamilton T. Smith

Furniture designer, founding member of the Design and Industries Association and director of Heals.

Person, Craft / Design, Politics & Administration

1 memorial