42nd Royal Highlanders
Group From 1725 To 1881
Infantry regiment of the British army. Originally a militia raised to build a network of roads, it became known as the Black Watch because of the dark green tartan with which they were issued. It was officially formed as a regiment in 1739 as the 43rd Highlanders, until it was renumbered in 1748. When the regiment was ordered to London for an inspection by King George II, there were rumours that they were to be shipped to the West Indies to fight in the War of Austrian Succession, and many soldiers mutinied. The regiment saw service in the Napoleonic Wars and the Battle of Waterloo. It was amalgamated with the 73rd (Perthshire) Regiment of Foot to form the Royal Highland Regiment.