Plaque: Smiths - King's College Hospital
Erection date: 1939
This tablet records the grateful thanks of King's College Hospital which stood upon this site from 1839 to 1913 to the firm and staff of W.H. Smith & Son for their generous and unfailing support during the 100 years of its existence.
This plaque was placed on the Hospital's centenary. WH Smiths had given the Hospital a new site at Denmark Hill and also helped fund it during the 1920s but we are not convinced that support had been provided for all the 100 years, this might be poetic exaggeration.
Site: W. H. Smiths - Portugal Street (3 memorials)
WC2, Portugal Street
There are 3 plaques, all on the north face of this building, to the right of the entrance shown in the photograph.