mobile nav

Subject

W. H. Smiths

Group  From 1792 

Categories: Commerce

Henry Walton Smith and his wife Anna opened a small newsvendors in 1792 in Little Grosvenor Street. HW and then Anna died, and their sons took over, renaming the business after one of them, William Henry. In 1846, his son of the same name reached 21 and joined the business and it was renamed W. H. Smith and Son. It was managed by the family until 1972 when the first non-family Chairman was appointed. See also Lord Hambleden.

The firm and staff gave "generous and unfailing support" to King's College Hospital.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
W. H. Smiths

Information Commemorated at

45251

Smiths - Head Office

This building was the Head Office of W.H. Smith & Son from 1920 to 1976. The...

Read More

45250

Smiths - King's College Hospital

This plaque was placed on the Hospital's centenary. WH Smiths had given the H...

Read More

45252

Smiths - war-damaged plaque

OK, this is not actually a memorial but it's too good to exclude on the basis...

Read More

45235

W. H. Smiths - WC2

{On the plinth:} William Frederick Danvers Smith, 2nd Viscount Hambleden, bo...

Read More

50689

W. H. Smith - W2

London County Council W. H. Smith, 1825 - 1891, bookseller and statesman, li...

Read More

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
W. H. Smiths

Information Creations

45252

Smiths - war-damaged plaque

OK, this is not actually a memorial but it's too good to exclude on the basis...

Read More