mobile nav

Memorial

Lyons Walk J. Lyons and LEO - world's first business computer

Plaque: Lyons Walk

Erection date: 1995

Inscription

SA
M 3073
KC
LBH+F - Lyons Walk - Soc - 1995

"LBH+F" decodes as London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, and the plaque was probably installed in 1995 as part of the remodelling of the area. Those are the only bits of this inscription that we understand. The plaque itself is unusual in its design and materials, reminding us of this one in Bond Street.

It must surely be related to the history of the site which is given, with pictures, at J. Lyons & Co. But we could find no clues to the meaning the inscription there. We'll keep searching, meanwhile - it's a puzzle.

Site: J. Lyons and LEO - world's first business computer (3 memorials)

W14, Hammersmith Road, Lyons Walk

At this address: Cadby Hall, Hammersmith Road, Lyons had a huge site, with its head office, several bakeries, and an ice cream factory. This was all demolished in 1983.

The Lyons Walk plaque is at the centre of a circle of trees and empty tree pits (indicating lost trees). The LEO plaque is horizontal, at the centre of the middle of the 3 new, raised,red brick flower beds.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Lyons Walk

Information Also at this site

75848

Cadby Hall - 9 keystone heads - composers

Cadby Hall was built in 1873 as a piano factory. Our picture comes from Cadby...

Read More

74954

LEO - world's first business computer

Here's the video of the unveiling timed to commemorate 65 years of LEO. We be...

Read More