Jonathan’s Coffee House
Building From 1680 To 1778
Founded by Jonathan Miles in Exchange Alley around 1680. In 1698 John Castaing posted a list of prices for stocks and commodities. And so traders who were expelled from the Royal Exchange used Jonathan's as a meeting place. It burnt down and was rebuilt in 1748. In 1773 the traders built the bigger 'New Jonathan's" in Sweeting's Alley (about where Royal Exchange Buildings meets Threadneedle Street now) but it soon became known as the Stock Exchange and evolved into the LSE that we have today. The original Jonathan's succumbed to the flames for a second and final time in 1778.