mobile nav

Memorial

Tower Bridge, 1894 - opening Tower Bridge

Plaque: Tower Bridge, 1894 - opening

Erection date: 30/6/1894

Inscription

This Bridge was opened by HRH the Prince of Wales, KG on behalf of Her Majesty Queen Victoria, on Saturday the 30th June 1894 in the presence of HRH The Princess of Wales, HRH The Duke of York KG and other members of the Royal Family, the Right Honorable Sir George Robert Tyler, Bart., Lord Mayor.

{A list of 43 names follows: 2 Sheriffs, 1 Engineer, 8 Members of the Bridge House Estates Committee, 31 Commoners and 1 Comptroller of the Bridge House Estates. These are listed on this page at 'Created by'. Each of the Commoners is given either ‘Mr’ as a prefix or ‘Esq.’ as a suffix but never both.  There must be some logic but we can’t see it and we can’t ask you to explain since we’ve removed both adjuncts as unnecessary.}

In 1894 the royal personages listed at the top of the plaque as: Prince of Wales, Princess of Wales and Duke of York, were, in simpler terms, a married couple and their eldest (surviving) son, and would, in time, become: King Edward VII, Queen Alexandra, and King George V.

Site: Tower Bridge (4 memorials)

E1, Tower Bridge

These plaques are attached to the north-west tower and also the south-east tower, all duplicated except for "opened to the public" which is only on the NW tower which forms the entrance to the exhibition.  The SE tower also has the intriguing bronze plaque "The Bridge Master's Dining Room".   This is part of a self-contained suite of rooms which once served as the Bridge Master’s home and is now, of course, available for hire.

Note how the spelling of 'honourable' changes between the 1894 and 1994 plaques.  We don't normally retain letters after the surname but we have for the people on these plaques - they seemed so proud of their qualifications.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Tower Bridge, 1894 - opening

Information Subjects commemorated

51137

Tower Bridge

Named not for its own two towers but for the nearby, pre-existing Tower. Desi...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Tower Bridge, 1894 - opening

Information Created by

Show all 50

58681

Bridge House Estates

Established to maintain London Bridge. Named after Bridge House, the original...

Read More

46488

Corporation of the City of London

In addressing the 'square mile' concept Londonist have provided a potted hist...

Read More

46381

Queen Alexandra

Wife of Edward VII, mother of George V. Born at the Amalienborg Palace, Copen...

Read More

71186

Frederick Prat Alliston

Alderman of the City of London. Commoner on the Bridge House Estates Committe...

Read More

71187

Sir Albert Joseph Altman

Chairman of the Bridge House Estates Committee, 1894. His portrait comes fro...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Tower Bridge, 1894 - opening

Information Also at this site

50838

Tower Bridge, 1977 - electrification

City of London Tower Bridge Constructed and maintained by the Corporation of ...

Read More

50841

Tower Bridge, 1982 - opened to the public

City of London Tower Bridge The main towers, high level walkways and the mac...

Read More

50840

Tower Bridge, 1994 - centenary

Corporation of London, Tower Bridge This plaque was unveiled on the centenary...

Read More