mobile nav


School grounds and building Holy Trinity School, Hoxton

Memorial: School grounds and building

Erection date: 25/5/1864


{Inscribed on the wall behind the fountain and then much over painted:}
To the Glory of God and for the benefit of the poor of all religious {illegible}, these schools, built mainly by the employers of London in the neighbourhood upon ground given by the incumbent, The Rev. T. Boys, were opened by the Bishop of London on the 25th day of May MDCCCLXIV {1864}.

A strange memorial. The little roof and pillars make this look as if it could originally have been the entrance to the building. But without the paint and without the boundary wall this could have been a water fountain accessible from the street and the inscription would have looked right. June 2012: the Churchwarden kindly informed us that it was a fountain. 

Site: Holy Trinity School, Hoxton (2 memorials)

N1, Bletchley Street

Strange to have both these memorials, covering very similar ground.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
School grounds and building

Information Subjects commemorated


Rev. Thomas Boys

The generous incumbent of Holy Trinity, Hoxton in 1864. Theologian and antiqu...

Read More


Archibald Campbell Tait

Bishop of London 1856 - 1868, Archbishop of Caterbury 1868 - 1882. Born Scot...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
School grounds and building

Information Also at this site


School Committee

Boys is given as the Incumbent and Barclay as the Treasurer. This is an attra...

Read More