mobile nav

Memorial

Leverton arch St Giles - Leverton arch

Gates: Leverton arch

Inscription

{ This inscription, on the reverse of the tympanum, is difficult to read but there is only one very doubtful - "Owten".}

This gate, formerly erected in High Street, AD 1800,
John Lord, Bishop of Chichester, DD, Rector,
W. L. Owten, William Leverton - Churchwardens,

was rebuilt in this place AD 1865,
Anthony W. Thorold MA Rector,
J. F. Corben, Thomas Wilson - Churchwardens.

This 1800 arch was designed by one of the churchwardens at the time, Leverton, and was originally at the northern entrance on St Giles High Street.

Our attention was drawn to this curiosity by Ornamental Pleasures. Go there for more pictures and history.

Site: St Giles - Leverton arch (1 memorial)

WC2, Flitcroft Street, St Giles Church

The story behind this arch and the carved relief of the Resurrection in the tympanum is given at northern entrance. The tympanum currently holds a (plaster?) copy of the relief - the original can be seen inside the church vestibule. It is a lively, energetic, deep relief, well worth some time.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Leverton arch

Information Subjects commemorated

50528

Leverton arch

Designed in 1800 by Leverton, one of the churchwardens at the time. Original...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Leverton arch

Information Created by

Show all 7

50534

J. F. Corben

Churchwarden at St Giles Church in 1865.

Read More

50534

William Leverton

Architect, builder and surveyor. Churchwarden at St Giles Church in 1800.

Read More

50534

John Lord, Bishop of Chichester

Rector of St Giles Church in 1800.

Read More

50534

Love

Created the tympanum at St Giles Church in 1800.

Read More

50534

W. L. Owten

Churchwarden at St Giles Church in 1800.

Read More