York House & Thames gateway
Building From 1624
George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham, acquired York House from the Archbishop of York in 1624 and had the watergate built. York House was demolished in 1675 and streets were laid out on the site. In 1893 the gate, having fallen into decay, the London County Council obtained parliamentary powers to acquire and preserve it as an object of public interest.