mobile nav


Upton Chapel

Upton Chapel


Categories: Religion

Built in 1864 in Barkham Terrace to replace the house that had been used,1785 -1862, by a group of Particular Baptists in what is now Burrell Street SE1. That building, rebuilt in 1801, was demolished to make way for the railway which is still there today, crossing Burrell Street. The first preacher there was James Upton, so that was the name given to the new Barkham Terrace chapel. Damaged by WW2 bombs the chapel was demolished in 1952. In 1941 the congregation united with that at Christ Church as "Christ Church and Upton Chapel".

We could find no image of Upton Chapel but luckily it does appear on a photo we have already published, on the page for St George's Obelisk, in Barkham Terrace..

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Upton Chapel

Information Commemorated at

Christ Church - 1959

In WW2 both Upton Chapel and Christ Church were badly bombed. Both were demol...

Read More